gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 21:22:50 -0400

  > >     even those which would be the safest to recommend, such as QEMU, can
run
  > >     non-free software as well as anything
  > >
  > > That is too terse for me to follow.  What _exactly_ is the stance
  > > you are arguing against?

  > all of that was based on the previous context - you asked the question:

I can't recall back that far without doing extra work to find it.
When you reply to something I said would you please include
enough that I can tell what your reply is about?

It looks like you did that this time.  Thanks.

  > my answer was "no, this kind of issue applies to any emulator, VM, or
  > interpreter" - it only depends on how generically the concern is applied -
that
  > is why i changed the subject; because generally, the concern goes well
beyond
  > scummvm, to any "hosts of foreign applications" (wine, java, python, audio
  > plugin hosts, you name it)

In theory, could be.  In practice, usually not.  With a VM or
interpreter which people use to write new programs, there will be lots
of new and free programs you can run on it.  With an emulator there
usually will not be.  Thus, the ScummVM issue will tend to arise for
emulators like ScummVM.

I am not saying this is guaranteed to be true in all cases without exception.
I am saying this will USUALLY be true.
If we come across an exception, we can take account of it.

The point is that this issue NORMALLY arises for emulators.