gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:57:02 -0400

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:19:12 -0400 Richard wrote:
>   > if it is intended to be vague, then obviously it can not have an explicit
>   > warning about any one specific program, only about the general indirect
> danger
>   > of software with certain properties (in this case, software hosts with no
> known
>   > libre clients)
>
> I can't see how you reach that conclusion

because vague and specific are opposites - it loses cohesion to mix them

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:19:12 -0400 Richard wrote:
>   > that is why i was applauding a call for precision,
>
> To say, "We urge free distros not to include program XYZ" is entirely
> precise.

yes, but no other part of the FSDG is nearly so precise - it is quite odd for
the only precise part to be the only optional part - i wish it was actively
maintained and changed to be more and more precise as any confusions arise

for a recent example, we had a great (and unproductive) discussion earlier this
year about what qualifies as a "complete distro" - opinions varied wildly;
because the FSDG and the FSF offer no real "guidance" on how to interpret it's
vague criteria - that vagueness is not helpful - it is a waste of evryone's time