gnu-misc-discuss

Re: The GNU Philosophy: How practical is it?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The GNU Philosophy: How practical is it?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:42:09 +0200

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> Sex, 2007-04-27 Ã s 17:21 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> > "Alfred M. Szmidt" wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Dunno why I bother, but... RedHat does far more software development
> > > than Adobe.                                                   ^
> > Eh?                                                             |
> > Adobe's latest 10-Q:                                            |
> > Research and development................ 137,129 >--------------+
>                                              ^
> Software Patents count here -----------------+

Same as with Red Hat's R&D numbers, I gather.

"Patents, and the patent system, are becoming increasingly important to
the business. Deputy general counsel Webbink explains that when Red Hat
decided to create the position that Avrunin filled, management received
a lot of resumes from patent prosecutors. In contrast, Avrunin was a
patent litigator at law firm Finnegan Henderson. "We found that rather
intriguing," says Webbink. His resume made the decision makers
question: "Do we want a good patent prosecutor? Or do we want someone
who can keep us out of trouble?"

It appears that Avrunin wants to be both. "He's been here for 20 years
already in dog years," says Webbink. Avrunin has been busy, in other
words. Before he arrived, Red Hat had around 30 patent applications
pending at the USPTO. "At the end of last quarter, we have nine issued
patents out of 175 applications," says Avrunin. Cryptography, digital
rights management and security are big focus areas for Red Hat's
patents."

                -- Red Hat enters the patent ring - MIP March 2007

regards,
alexander.