gnu-misc-discuss

Re: The GNU Philosophy: How practical is it?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: The GNU Philosophy: How practical is it?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:26:39 -0400

In article <46334590.106A8FEA@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> [...]
> > Isn't that pattern pretty normal for high-tech startups?
>
> Ask those poor folks who lost the money in Linux and .com IPO scam.

Lots of startups fail.  In fact, probably MOST do.  Some fail before
they reach the IPO stage, some after.  That doesn't make it a scam.

If there was a particular fraud scheme that you're referring to, I don't
happen to know about it -- I never invested in any Linux companies and
didn't follow the market in them.  But was it any worse than the
Internet bubble?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA