gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14572] Protect gal_data_t's array and block poin

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14572] Protect gal_data_t's array and block pointers
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 18:35:55 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #14572 (project gnuastro):

Thank you very much Antonio for this interesting suggestion.

I just don't clearly understand what you mean by "subtiles", do you mean
separately allocated (smaller) arrays created from the larger parent array?
This is what I interpret from the `get_num_subtiles' example.

If so, won't this drastically reduce the speed of processing over a randomly
shaped and positioned tile over the dataset? Since we have to check many more
boundaries. When we know the larger block is one contiguous patch of memory,
we can just check for the tile boundaries and those of the larger block.

If I understood correctly, then if the block is not contiguous, managing the
non-contiguity would be really hard (for the developer and the CPU).

Making `gal_data_t' opaque is indeed a great suggestion and I am all for doing
so. We just have to come up with a good API. There are many applications of
gal_data_t already in Gnuastro, so they can be a good example.

There is no rush tough, as you mentioned, designing a good API is not easy.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14572>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/