gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [bug #56859] Bad result and crash of MakeCatalog and Ta

From: Raul Infante-Sainz
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [bug #56859] Bad result and crash of MakeCatalog and Table with PV parameters in header
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 08:16:16 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I found a no sense result and crash when trying to obtain a catalogue of
objects using a combination of Noisechisel, Segment and MakeCatalog. Step by
step:

I have two images: `sip.fits' and `pv.fits'. The names came from the different
notation for the distortion coefficients (SIP and PV). Both images are the
same, as it can be seen with `DS9' matching WCS.

Then I run the shell script `script' attached in this message. Basically, it
runs NoiseChisel, Segment and finally MakeCatalog over both images.

At the end I get two catalogues with different results. The catalogue from
`sip.fits' is good but the catalogue obtained from `pv.fits' is wrong.

Seems to me that it is reading the WCS information from the PV keywords in the
header in a bad way, and the result are wrong RA-DEC coordinates for the
detected objects.

In addition to this, if I try to use the feature `wcstoimg' with Table, I get
an error in the case of PV but not in the case of SIP. That is, once the
script has been executed I try to do:

asttable sip_cat.fits -cRA,DEC,"arith RA DEC wcstoimg" --wcsfile=sip.fits

It success. But if I do:

asttable pv_cat.fits -cRA,DEC,"arith RA DEC wcstoimg" --wcsfile=pv.fits

It fails with an error:

asttable: gal_wcs_world_to_img: wcss2p ERROR 9: One or more of the world
coordinates were invalid

Here I paste the content of `script':

# Define the name of the input images
i_sip=sip.fits
i_pv=pv.fits

# Run Noisechisel
sip_det=sip_det.fits
pv_det=pv_det.fits

astnoisechisel $i_sip --output=$sip_det
astnoisechisel $i_pv --output=$pv_det

# Run Segment
sip_seg=sip_seg.fits
pv_seg=pv_seg.fits

astsegment $sip_det --output=$sip_seg
astsegment $pv_det --output=$pv_seg

# Run MakeCatalog
sip_cat=sip_cat.fits
pv_cat=pv_cat.fits

astmkcatalog $sip_seg --ra --dec --magnitude --output=$sip_cat
astmkcatalog $pv_seg --ra --dec --magnitude --output=$pv_cat

File Attachments:

Date: Wed 04 Sep 2019 12:16:14 PM UTC  Name: script  Size: 531B   By:
infantesainz

<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=47450>