gnuastro-devel

[task #14639] Table arithmetic operator to find rows within given region

From: Sachin Kumar Singh
Subject: [task #14639] Table arithmetic operator to find rows within given region
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 17:41:06 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #9, task #14639 (project gnuastro):

Sorry, some important college work came up and had to complete it. But I've
started working on this task now. After some brainstorming and a rough
implementation, following problems arose:

* In **structs tableparams**, I included a `gal_data_t *inpolygon` to keep the
vertices of the polygon. But how are the required columns (RA and DEC) should
be included? If I define 2 new `list_select` in the internal section, it might
introduce redundancies and overkills. Should we define it internally then,
like without options in the function in table.c?

* In args.h I introduced a `inpolygon` option but if I parse it as a string
there will be problems when using `gal_polygon_is_inside` as it only takes
double values. Is there any preexisting function to convert the strings into
double arrays? (Solving this problem may solve many of the listed problems)

* As the `table_selection` function in table.c goes through all the values in
the desired columns, it can be easy implementation to just only tableparams p
option in our function as we have to use only RA and DEC so giving any choice
won't matter. But can we set the columns to RA and DEC in the functions? Using
if-else for list_select to check if the column is RA or DEC seems inefficient.
What do you think?

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14639>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/