gnuastro-devel

[task #15128] TPV and SIP keywords when WCS distortions are necessary

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15128] TPV and SIP keywords when WCS distortions are necessary
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 12:20:05 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #11, task #15128 (project gnuastro):

Great! I am happy the problem with `rval' is clear now ;-).

By the way, while I was looking through the WCSLIB dis.h manual
<https://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/mcalabre/WCS/wcslib/dis_8h.html>, I
encountered this statement (under the TPD title):

"The "Template Polynomial Distortion" (TPD) is a superset of the TPV, SIP,
DSS, and WAT (TNX & ZPX) polynomial distortions that also supports 1-D usage
and inversions.... Within WCSLIB, TPV, SIP, DSS, and WAT are all implemented
as special cases of TPD. ... Moreover, the general Polynomial distortion is
translated and implemented internally as TPD whenever possible."

Given its generality, and the fact that WCSLIB can apparently do the
translations of all these standards to-and-from TPD internally, a more robust
work may be to base all our work on TPD (also for finding the implementing the
distortions in task #15637 and task #15636).

You may even find some part of WCSLIB that will automatically do the
conversion of TPV to SIP and vice-versa through TPD ;-).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15128>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/