Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Stack over-run

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Stack over-run
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 08:21:31 -0800

Trevor wrote:

> I changed MAXSTACK back (to MAX_BOARD * MAX_BOARD) locally, when
> Gunnar send his message, so this is not the crux of the string[] problem.
>
> My next patch is taking a while to put together, so that fix didn't
> get into CVS yet.

I've changed this back in the CVS.

Allan wrote:

> I'm getting a high number of warnings (that I've not had before) compiling
> the current CVS... here they are...
>
> Looks like someone's forgetting about braces. :)
>
> cache.c: In function `do_get_read_result':
> cache.c:718: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'
>
> combination.c: In function `compute_aa_values':
> combination.c:1132: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous
>  `else'

I don't get these warnings, so I didn't notice this problem. You'll
get them if HAVE_VARIADIC_DEFINE.

There are alternate definitions of TRACE, DEBUG, and allies in gnugo.h,
and it is the second batch:

#define TRACE  if (!(verbose)) ; else gprintf
#define RTRACE if (!(verbose >= 3)) ; else gprintf
#define VTRACE if (!(verbose >= 4)) ; else gprintf
/* if debug == 0, then can skip the function call. */
#define DEBUG  if (!debug) ; else DEBUG_func

that causes the warnings. These definitions were changed
in the patch trevor_1_25.2. If we then use

if (condition) TRACE( ...)

this unravels to

if (condition) if (!verbose) ; else gprintf( )

which of course is ambiguous.

Dan