Re: [gnugo-devel] FW: Owl tuning help needed

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] FW: Owl tuning help needed
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:41:41 +0200

Nando wrote:
> As I recently noticed how bad the A1120 pattern is, I came up with an idea
> this afternoon and tried following change :
> [...]
> The idea is simply to make this pattern do what it was primarily meant for,
> i.e. "block escape" and nothing more.

This is one of the main problems with the owl patterns. There are too
many of them which are too general, sometimes way too general. Another
one that comes to mind is D302.

> If you turn things upside down, this means the current engine is using 260
> K-nodes for 25 PASSes and 18 FAILs...
>
> I think the performance gain is worth working some more on this
> patch.

Agreed.

> When I made the change, I knew that the engine would probably miss
> some pattern(s), about peeps and/or tower poking for instance. I
> think the point is to create 'good' ones, what can prove somewhat
> difficult. Also, all these fails must be checked one by one...

Correct.

> I think I'm way too new to owl tuning and my own playing strength is
> probably too bad. It's very unlikely that I would be able to do this
> work alone and in a reasonable amount of time, but I'm too convinced
> it would be very beneficial to give it up. So, would anybody be
> interested in a collaborative work on this stuff ?

Well, should people be interested in this I have a bunch of owl
pattern changes to propose, which I haven't found time to evaluate
properly.

/Gunnar