RE: [gnugo-devel] FW: Owl tuning help needed

From: Portela Fernand
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] FW: Owl tuning help needed
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:17:55 +0200

Arend wrote:

> (...)
> Opinions?

Good idea.

> Awk experts anywhere?

Not me.

> > So, would anybody be interested in a collaborative work on this stuff ?
> Generally yes, but at the moment there is still some other stuff to do...

It seems I'll have to do it alone for the time being. Well, I'll do my best
:)

> It would definitely be useful to start collecting a list of such
> potentially useful changes.

I coded a quick & dirty thingy to collect data about this. I only looked at
attacking patterns and deleted that ugly code immediately after. What I
observed was following (in order of importance) :

- A1120 : extremely wasteful, work in progress on this one
- A1002 : extremely wasteful, but I still haven't thought of a good
          replacement and/or change here.
- A1124 : Arend's recent patch must have improved things a bit. But it is
          probably still quite inefficient, since I haven't observed a big
          change in owl nodes.
- VA44  : quite wasteful for a vital attack pattern

/nando