[gnugo-devel] question about twogtp.pl

From: Kevin 'Zaph' Burfitt
Subject: [gnugo-devel] question about twogtp.pl
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:32:13 +1000

Hi all,
I'm just a beginner Go player and programmer, wanting to do some
experiments.  I've coded up a simple Go playing program that uses a subset
of GTP, and have been playing it against GnuGo using twogtp.pl

My question is:  Why does twogtp.pl not tell the computer player when the
other player passes ?
the line in question is:
            $self->white->black($move) unless ($move =~ /PASS/);
(and the equiv line with white/black reversed)

My program would love to know that the other player passed so it can also
pass if it thinks it has won the game (even if it's earlier than it would
have otherwise done so).  The easiest way to do that is to let the pass move
go to the GTP program, but I'm wondering if the GTP spec implies that 'pass'
doesn't need to be sent ?

Oh, in case you are wondering my program isn't even at the point where it
can score properly yet - but it can beat a random player :-)

Zaph

--
Kevin 'Zaph' Burfitt - Cthugha, StarLego, and more
address@hidden  http://www.torps.com