Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo.el 1.19

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo.el 1.19
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 01:49:35 +0200

thi wrote:
> >  there are problems with output buffer popping out each time i type a
> >  command.  there seem to be no simple ways to set up a handicap
> >  (especially free handicap) or change board size.  i'm of course
> >  biased since i did some bugfixes to play_ascii.c ;), but at least
> >  1.19 should be improved.
>
> hmmm, it seems to work fine w/ gnugo 3.3.11, emacs 20.7.  could you
> precisely describe your actions, the behavior you see, as well as what
> versions of these programs produced that behavior?  otherwise i don't
> have enough information to understand the problem.

it was gnugo 3.3.15-pre-1 and emacs 20.7.1. but i think it doesn't
differ in way it behaves from your software versions. i meant the
"gnugo command output" buffer jumping out each time i type in a gtp
command.

> to set a handicap, you start:
>
> [...]
>
> at which point you type in:
>
>       --handicap 4

yes, but it is inconvenient. as far as i understand the script is aimed
at end users, not us. thus, one should be able to start gnugo without
typing any options and then either press a key, or type a simple command
like `:handicap 4'. the key point is to have an option to change it. so,
one looks at those four stones, gets frightened and types `:handicap 3'
instead. or, he has lost a game with four handicap stones and decides to
reduce the amount. he should be able to do it without restarting gnugo.
it would be good if you also provided a nice way to set free handicap
(much like you play moves - with cursor).

> i don't see what play_ascii.c has to do w/ the go text protocol.  it is
> specifically to sever the prior connection that i redesigned around the
> text protocol.

nothing. the previous version of gnugo.el used ascii mode. and to me, it
was very good, much more user-friendly :D than your latest version of
script. probably the only thing i didn't like about it was that it hid
the board while gnu go was thinking.

actually, i don't think that gnugo.el should work via gtp, but since Dan
disagrees, i'm going to be in minority :) nevertheless, you should toss
in user-friendly ways of doing things, like changing handicap, board size
etc.

Paul