[gnugo-devel] gnugo / gGo interaction badness

From: Stuart A Yeates
Subject: [gnugo-devel] gnugo / gGo interaction badness
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:17:04 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello

I've noticed some unusual behaviour in the interaction between gnugo and
gGo. I'm not sure whether this is the fault of gGo or gnugo, so I'm
sending the bug reports to both the gGo list and the gnugo list.

My version strings are:

GNU Go Version 3.2

Linux tikauka 2.4.19 #3 Wed Oct 2 10:16:06 NZST 2002 i686 unknown

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0beta-b04, mixed mode)

gGo 0.3.2 running on Java 1.4.0 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

My gnugo commandline is:

/usr/bin/nice -20 /home/say1/bin/linux/gnugo --mode gtp --quiet

1) Difficulties with boardsize.
   When I set the boardsize to something that gnugo doesn't like (25x25)
GGo and gnugo get confused as to the size of the board. gGo thinks it's
playing on a large board and gnugo thinks it's playing on a small
(19x19) board. The following interaction is typical:

boardsize 25
komi 5.5
level 5
fixed_handicap 9
? unacceptable boardsize

=

=

= D16 K16 Q16 D10 K10 Q10 D4 K4 Q4

genmove_white
= C6

black Z25
genmove_white
? invalid coordinate

= E6

black Y24
genmove_white
? invalid coordinate

= F4

black X23
genmove_white
? invalid coordinate

= Q13

black W22
genmove_white
? invalid coordinate

= C3

black V21
genmove_white
? invalid coordinate

= G16

black U20
genmove_white
? invalid coordinate

= Q7

black T19
genmove_white
=

= S18

2) Timing Issues
   When playing with a relatively short amount of time, typically 1/3 I
ALWAYS win on time (often about move 50-57). I'm a little mystified as
to how the timing information works in GTP and there don't appear to be
any explicit timing information in the GTP window or the gnugo
commandline.

3) On small boards with a handicap gnugo seems to pass excessively for
example:

boardsize 7
komi 5.5
level 5
fixed_handicap 2
=

=

=

= E5 C3

genmove_white
= PASS

black C5
genmove_white
=

= PASS

black E3
genmove_white
=

= PASS

black D4
genmove_white
=

= PASS

and the following game, in which gnugo appears to object to the handicap
but still appears to think that there are stones on the board. For this
game the gGo game window starts the board apparently empty :

boardsize 7
komi 5.5
level 5
fixed_handicap 9