Re: [gnugo-devel]

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:37:33 -0700

> 1) I try to find some influence values that gives an exciting style
>     of play, principaly by trial and errors and visual inspection (ie
>     looking at one or two games against normal GnuGo, and choosing the
>     styles I like best): the resulting evaluation function are often a
>     little bit "unreasonable", in the sense that they play a center-
>     oriented fuseki, but don't know how to make it work later (the
>     usual problem... :-) )
>
>     This usually produces a version that is not really stronger that
>     the default GnuGo (it wins typically 50%-55% of the games), but
>     gives fighting games (scores like W+70.0 or B+70.0 are not rare)
>
> 2) So I tried to tame it down by making it use the cosmic values only
>     every other moves... (that's the reason of the ((movenum / 2) % 2)
>     test in the patch below).
>
>     And, to my great surprise, it seems to have worked somehow !
>
>     In a sense, alternating between the "slightly unreasonable" and
>     the "slightly conservative" evaluation functions uses the strong
>     points of both :-)

I've been unable to compile the patch.

First, the patch seemed not to apply cleanly. Patch complains about a
malformed patch at line 256 although that line looks OK to me.

I applied the patch by hand.

But then the variable cosmic_importance does not seem to be declared
anywhere. So you get errors:

influence.c: In function `accumulate_influence':
influence.c:222: `cosmic_importance' undeclared (first use in this function)

etc.

I gather cosmic_importance is a global variable.

Dan