[gnugo-devel] bug report

From: Dan Rosen
Subject: [gnugo-devel] bug report
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:38:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I can call this a "bug," precisely, but it is
certainly a defect. I was playing a bot on KGS which claimed to be running
GNU Go v3.5.2, when in the endgame it made a fairly significant blunder.
On move 234 in the attached SGF, it prefers to save 3 stones, preventing a
6 point loss, which results in a seki. If the 3 stones had been
sacrificed, there would have been no seki: it would have captured 9 stones
for a local gain of 18 points, or a net gain of 12 points including the
sacrifice.

The situation that led to this mistake also seemed strangely-played by the
computer, but that is a whole other issue :)

Hope this helps,
dr (13kyu)