Re: [gnugo-devel] bug report

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] bug report
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:36:38 +0000

> > Btw, GNU Go on KGS is not run by GNU Go team -- AFAIK it is run by
> > someone from the KGS team, perhaps William Shubert.
>
> This bot in particular is run by the Fujiwarano Sai Go Club, a virtual
> club on KGS, hence the name "FSGCBot."
>
> > We are interested in receiving some tests from the games it plays there.
> > However, no one has to time to actually extract them from the games.
> > If you think you may be willing to produce a small set of tests from
> > time to time (perhaps from your own games), i can explain how to do
> > that.
>
> I might be up for it. What is involved?

First of all, i would recommend having a local copy of GNU Go, so that you
are able to err.. test the tests you create.  If you have CVS program and
SSH 2 key, you can get the latest source with

        cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnugo co gnugo

Otherwise, you can download released versions at

        http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel

If you download GNU Go, you will find a lot of tests in the `regression/'
directory (.tst files), which you can study.

Basically, a typical test looks like this:

loadsgf FILE MOVE-NUMBER
TEST-NUMBER reg_genmove COLOR
#? [VALID-MOVES]

        FILE -          Name of an SGF file with the game record. It
                        should be placed in the `games/' directory.

        MOVE-NUMBER -   Move up to which (but not including which) to
                        load the game.  I.e. the number of erroneous move.

        TEST-NUMBER -   Used by regression scripts; just place numbers
                        10, 20, 30, ... here.

        COLOR -         The color for which to generate move (it should
                        be put explicitly, because we sometimes want to
                        have tests which break the normal play sequence,
                        i.e. where black plays two moves in a row).

        VALID-MOVES -   One or more moves that are considered the best in
                        given position.  Multiple moves are separated with
                        "|" (actually, this is a regexp for valid moves).

So, a test for the problem you submitted could look like this ("#" starts
a comment line):

# L15 lets black live in seki.
loadsgf games/dan/FSGCBot-dr.sgf 234
10 reg_genmove white
#? [A19|B17]

There are commands other than `reg_genmove' which are used for more
specific than whole-board move generation things, but those are very
difficult to explain, unless you have GNU Go to experiment with them.

Write to  address@hidden  if you need for more information on GNU Go
and tests.

Paul