Re: [gnugo-devel] --nonfuseki option

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] --nonfuseki option
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:00:44 +0100

Max wrote:
> Pattern EC219
>
> ??????
> O....O
> O.*...
> ------
>
> :8,C

The third line question marks have no effect. Leaving them out means
the same thing.

> it seems to work well but GNU Go ,even with the --nonfuseki option,
> does not like F1
>
> the trace file says
>
> Top moves:
> 1. R4  30.14
> 2. D15 25.01
> 3. Q17 25.00
> 4. F1  6.24
> 5. A4  5.84
>
> btw ,D15 and Q17 are fuseki moves

You should get an error if you try to use the non-existent option
--nonfuseki. With the correctly spelt --nofuseki I get

Top moves:
1. R4  30.14
2. F1  6.25
3. A4  5.84

> Move at A4 expands territory
> Move at F1 connects B3 and J2
> Move at F1 defends J2
> Move at H2 defends J2
> (this is false)

H2 is a correct tactical defense of J2 since it gives five liberties.
It's not strategically viable though, which the move valuation finds
out and doesn't reward it any points.

> I suppose the pattern is too much general.
> What should be the correct pattern ?
> thanks!

No, I think the pattern has a reasonable level of generality. Without
a constraint it doesn't quite guarantee a connection but on the other
hand that's automatically tested for C patterns.

However, if you want the move to be valued to about the 20 points it's
really worth, you need to add that move as an owl pattern. Currently
J2 has the status dead but it should be critical.

/Gunnar