Re: [gnugo-devel] a capturing race

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] a capturing race
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:11:24 +0200

Doug wrote:
> I think there are two mistakes here. The main one is misreading the
> capturing race at the bottom. But even aside from that, it doesn't seem
> wise for Black to go for a big exchange when a) Black is ahead and b) the
> profit side is uncertain. It seems like this mistake could be avoided even
> without fully understanding the capturing race.

There are two unsolved problems here:

1) Reliable estimation of uncertainty.
2) Integration of uncertainty estimates in the move valuation.

Advances in this area would certainly be welcome.

> And finally, on the subject of the capturing race, what does it mean for
> dragon_status to be critical if one of the moves is PASS? This from a few
> moves later:

Off the top of my head it means that the owl reading has failed to
analyze attack and defense consistently. That is of course a failure.

/Gunnar