Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces, newest data

From: Douglas Ridgway
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces, newest data
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:00:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, David G Doshay wrote:

> Perhaps Doug will be so kind as to add the new data to the other and
> send along a pointer to a plot of the full data set.

Thanks for the update. A similar analysis produces
http://dridgway.com/Go/sluggo_vs_MFG2.pdf . The 95% CI on the Result = 0
intercept would indicate a fair handicap lying in the range (3.0, 6.3).
Two possible concerns: there's maybe some lack of fit, and in any case
this uses the margin of victory, which is always kind of questionable. I
also did a fit to the outcomes alone: see
http://dridgway.com/Go/sluggo_vs_MFG3.pdf . The circles and error bars are
the win rates and CI on those rates for each handicap (white wins the
tie), and the lines are the result of the fit. The range of p=0.5
intercept is (3.2, 6.1) -- not so different from the other fit.

Bottom line: fair handicap is 3-6 stones, perhaps 4, certainly more than
2, probably not as many as 7. I'd call that three stones stronger.
Congratulations!

doug.
address@hidden