Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame tuning

From: Evan Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame tuning
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:34:42 -0400

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:26:56 -0400, Evan Daniel <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > +Pattern EE806
> > > +# evand new (3.7.1)
> > > +# see kgs:70
> > > +
> > > +|.O??
> > > +|.OX.
> > > +|.*X.
> > > +|....
> > > ++----
> > > +
> > > +:8,OXe,terri(3)
> >
> > This should be possible to handle with influence tuning but until
> > someone does that the pattern looks fine. I'm not sure about 3 points
> > of territory, however.
>
> The move is sente and picks up three points of territory -- if instead
> the opp is allowed to descend, they get 2 points in the corner, plus
> they don't have to connect behind.  This pattern might be too small
> for that to universally be true, though.

Hmm, seems I was thinking of the wrong pattern.  Anyway, the turn or
extension to the 2,2 point is worth 2.33 by miai counting in the basic
case (maybe more if there are relevant weaknesses).

See http://senseis.xmp.net/?MiaiValuesList200AndMore

Counting it 3 points of territory is probably a bit simplistic, but
seemed conservative enough to not be problematic.

Evan Daniel