Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: some answers and ask for help

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: some answers and ask for help
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:09:55 -0700

On Sep 12, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Xavier Combelle wrote:

My problem just now is that neither Eric Parker nor you did present what they want to do with their programs. Do you want to sell it, give it to the FSF, or just use it as a research purpose and keep it for you ? As you both communicate on the gnugo mailing list,
it's a very strange situation.

I have posted previously that as I hit a certain level of confidence and
completeness in in the development of SlugGo I intend to do a full
source code disclosure and if the GNU Go people have any desire for
it to be a part of their code base I will pass on rights accordingly. I do
not believe they want it in its present state.

SlugGo is being developed in an academic environment and we will
submit for publication everything we do. The cluster infrastructure code
we developed that SlugGo uses to distribute jobs to CPUs will be made
public. SlugGo is how we test that infrastructure.

I communicate on the GNU Go devl mailing list because I thought
that the people who have developed the engine would like to know
that their top 8 choices contain the moves that can beat other programs,
that using the GNU Go engine to generate possible moves for the
other player is a good feature to add into move selection, and that their
own internal evaluation functions are enough to swing the games in
their favor.

Cheers,
David