Re: [gnugo-devel] strategy

From: Martin Girard
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] strategy
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:13:47 -0400

On Sep 12, 2004, at 19:48, Arend Bayer wrote:

What people see as a lack of strategy is, im my opinion, mostly just a consequence of GNU Go's unprecise (to say the least) assessment of weak
groups.

WRONG.

It is a wrong assesment of the value of influence and other intangible
factors.
It is inability to make moves consistent with each other.
It is inability to detect distant threats.
It is inability to read through the opponent's moves' meaning and foil the
opponent's plans.

Again, I encourage those who haven't already to read the following book:
"The Thirty-Six Strategems Applied to Go" by Ma Xiaochun
Also, there is a book about the flow of stones that is somewhat relevant here:
"The Direction of Play" by Takeo Kajiwara
Finally, the games of Kato Masao are good examples of applying stragegy to killing groups in the center. He wrote a book on the topic (out of print,
unfortunately): "Kato's Attack and Kill"

If after reading the above you still can't figure out why strategy is of
utmost importance, then you should quit playing Go.

My claim is that a computer should not be taught this explicitly. That
a computer program will automatically not show the weaknesses you
describe above, once it
- has a good estimation of weakness of groups
- much better life and death reading
- global look-ahead.

Again, this is only part of the answer. You fail to see the whole picture when you claim all it requires is a simple patch. Even with this, there is no way GNU Go could go beyond 1d, even by reading 50 moves ahead. It's mathematically impossible.

You are trying to teach GNU Go in the same way thay one teaches a human
kyu player.

Indeed.

Your arguments are very similar to arguments about chess programs from 20
years ago, that they will never be able to play chess well, since they
have no idea of strategy. When in fact they just don't understand
strategy the way humans understand it.

Chess is a very dumb game when it comes to strategy. If you study Chess, the first thing you will realize is that simplification is central to every game; somehow, you need a way to get the better of the unavoidable massive slaughter that will take place. That is why most professional games are won through pawns being promoted to queens. One does not need to look very far ahead to solve such problems -- eight to ten moves are usually enough and advantage is relatively easy to determine. Chess is a game about mass slaughter and hardly involves any other strategic element.

I have read Samuel Reshevsky's "The Art of Positional Play", which is about the only strategy Chess book I've seen. Read it, then compare with the books I suggested in my previous reply. It's like night and day. Similarly, one shouldn't compare Chess to Go; it amounts to blasphemy.

And btw, even among human players, let's say in games between two 2ds, I think very many strategic mistakes result from misreadings or misjudgements
of group safeties/shape problems.

Computer programs are still doing much worse overall.

If I may add, humans and computer Go players don't make the same kind of mistakes. Usually, a human player will fail to accurately assert tangible value, to consider unusual moves, or will lack vigilance through distraction; a computer program never would. On the other hand, abstract reasoning allows a human player to read far deeper than the average computer program, as well as to read his opponent and adapt his play.

--Martin

Arend