RE: [gnugo-devel] Floating point arithmetics

From: Portela Fernando
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Floating point arithmetics
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:54:11 +0200

A belated regression breakage analysis for my latest patches.

* break_in:100

Fairly simple. nando_7_1.1 causing an increase in connection nodes,
the break-in limit of 400 is reached, causing a failure. nando_7_1.2
gets it back under the bar and the test passes again.

* nicklas:2103

The connection reading is actually improved by nando_7_1.2 (the
engine "sees" more connection pairs), causing an overvaluation
of various moves in the area around the dead white strings.
Though, I think the failure isn't the fault of valuation or
connection reading. Among others, I found in the traces :

C6 : (dragon C6) white string of size 10 (10.17), (...)
(...)
- defendable at B5, defend code = 4

It seems to me that the tactical reading code could be able to find
out that this worm is actually defenseless. So I'd propose to add
a test in reading.tst :

#See also nicklas2:2103
loadsgf games/nicklas/nicklas21.sgf 74
202 defend C6
#? [0]

* nngs:1260

Bad. The connection reading for B16/C13 is worse and gets accidentally
the right conclusion.

* nngs:1280

Good. The weird territorial overvaluation of W H16 disappears (break-in
code)

* connect:70

Good, reading improved (new candidate move found)

* global:1

Accidental, break-in reading still fuzzy.

-- nando