Re: [gnugo-devel] Physics in Go

From: kai brommann
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Physics in Go
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:44:06 -0800 (PST)

hello Alain and all GNU Go friends,

first of all nice to hear that you like the XiStrat
project!

> The authors says that Partial derivatives equations
> should
> give some interesting results... I m on the way :)

well, we can share the Nobel prize then. only how can
we impress the venture capitalists enough, so they
sponsor us now?! it's the problem of chicken and egg,
somehow it has to start.

> I reiterate my demand for some article making a
> parallel between physics, and Go game
> ... lot of usefull mathematical tools to get there

if you find something, please don't hesitate to tell.
actually once one starts to look at the mathematics
and tries to use it, one sees its current limitations.

at the moment we (the XiStrat group) particularly
focus on the Chess variant, the 2-body system (both
pieces of type A for now) is maturing and the next
release is only some months away (hopefully). the
resemblance to Physics is existing in the game of Go
no less.

of course one cannot simply take complete physical
theories 1:1 over to the strategy games though,
instead one probably has to invest more time to
engineer a concise mathematical apparatus delivering
results exactly at the necessary level of detail.
let's hope that there won't be a bad surprise in the
end: all stuff translated into a question about
algebraic topology, forms, finite groups of Lie type
and whatsoever, only to realize that still not enough
complexity has been replaced by insight. needless to
say, it's really a very vast area to explore.

in some sense the situation is like the topic of
systems of linear equations 500 years ago, exemplaric
case studies in place, but a general theory missing.
in 100 years they will laugh at us.

well, GNU Go is designed to be of practical value as
of today, having quite a remarkable strength already.
theoretical models could deliver rules to follow in an
engine, no question about that.

there can be just the final word of wisdom:

Es gibt nix gutes, ausser
man tut es :-)

in this sense: happy programming to all of us