Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: gnugo: stepping thru a saved game in ascii mode i

From: grok
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: gnugo: stepping thru a saved game in ascii mode is difficult without () around current move
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:51:40 -0500

While busily clipping coins in a Souk teahouse,
Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> was overheard to say:

> Out of curiosity, why do you receieve wishes for GNU Go?  Do you
> maintain a GNU Go package?

I thought you guys knew each other. He's the Debian
package maintainer, right Martin?

> This simple patch makes the last move always visible, unless it happens
> to be a pass move, and also prints it to the right of the board.  I didn't
> try to implement move history.
>
> However, I suggest that you use some client with GNU Go as ASCII mode is
> very old, inconvenient and almost not supported.  Try googling for
> something like ``GTP client GNU Go'', maybe also specifying your OS.

ASCII mode is useful for low-memory situations. The game
sits in its own console for as long as needed.
Of course the GUI clients are snazier.

Frankly, it distresses me to see all these packages (not
just gnugo) essentially moving away from support for their
text-mode versions. There must be plenty of computers out
there still, and for some time to come, which could use a
very low-footprint GNUnix OS... Not needing to install a GUI
desktop saves a lot of space and memory use/swapping, etc.

And I hope you decide to implement a history function
someday soon.
;>

- -- JJ.

- --
*** FULL-SPECTRUM DOMINANCE! ***********************************
*    BOYCOTT BOURGEOIS    Get your news & analysis instead     *
*          MASS-MEDIA:            from the Best on the Web     *
*** Critical endorsement only ** Most sites need donations **  *
* http://www.radio4all.org/unwelcome        Unwelcome Guests   *
* http://205.201.10.12:8000/             Blast Furnace Radio   *
* http://radio.portland.indymedia.org:8000/ Portland IndyMed.  *
* http://helix.kfai.org:8000/kfai-mp3-24M   KFAI Minneapolis   *
* http://live.str3am.com:2850/              Radical Radio      *
* http://www.outfarpress.com/outfarpress/shortwave.shtml       *
******  DEATH TO NEOLIBERALISM  ******  The Shortwave Report ***
GPG fingerprint = 2830 CEE8 4B63 72A0 F86E  622D 6245 9357 A705 91FA