Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: gnugo: stepping thru a saved game in ascii mode i

From: Evan Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Fwd: gnugo: stepping thru a saved game in ascii mode is difficult without () around current move
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:24:53 -0500

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:11:53 +0200, Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, we are not dropping ASCII mode, simply it is almost not worked
> on, because the vast majority of user base doesn't use or even if
> they do, then only because they don't know about GTP clients.
>
> I see and understand you reasons for using ASCII.  In this case, you
> could also try running GNU Go from under Emacs, if you use it anyway.
> Emacs GNU Go mode has been largely improved recently.
>
> I think we had a patch for Readline support in GNU Go lying around
> somewhere.  Maybe it's time to apply it?

Would it make more sense to drop ASCII mode support entirely, and
instead turn the current ASCII code into a fully separate front end,
which talks to GNU Go via GTP?

This would have the added benefit of allowing GUI-less users to make
effective use of other GTP engines, without those engine authors
having to write an ASCII interface.

Evan Daniel