[gnugo-devel] GnuGo as Atari-Go program.

From: Daniel Olszewski
Subject: [gnugo-devel] GnuGo as Atari-Go program.
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:55:25 +0200

Hi,

I'm a last year student at the Technical University in Gdansk (Poland) and I'm thinking of using GnoGo as a base for making program playing Atari-Go. Atari-Go program is subject of my diploma and that's why I'm looking for a good engine and as far as I know GnuGo is the best what I can get.

Thus I have few qustions.
First of all I want to ask if there are any legal/license aspects I should take into consideration? I hope it's not illegal to use GnuGo code in this way? But the most important is if I can count for any help from you? GnuGo is a huge project and all changes in source code especially at the beginning probably will be difficult so every tip will be priceless. I realize that there is detailed documentation for GnuGo but in most cases documentation isn't enough. Maybe you know about someone who tried using GnuGo for playing Atari-Go or you can recommend any Atari-Go programs (I've found only realy primitive ones)? I suppose I will have to start with changing priorities of heuristics used by GnuGo e.g. always attack enemy groups with one liberty or defend own groups with one liberty, etc. So I'll be very grateful if you can point me out where I should start. I guess there are some things obviuos for people familiar with GnuGo source but not necessarily for me.

Of course you don't have to answer all my questions at once, but at the moment I want to know at least what do you think about such idea (as people familiar with GnuGo)? To be honest I was trying to use OpenGo engine and add to it alghoritms making 'next move decisions' but I was wasting more time for fixing bugs in OpenGo than it was worth. Especially that subject of my thesis is to rather focus on alghoritms searching next moves than writing interface and handling game functions - that's the main reason why I'm considering using GnuGo.

I hope you can help me a bit.

Best regards
Daniel Olszewski

Daj sie skusic... >>> http://link.interia.pl/f18bc