Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl cuts, goal dragons and origins

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl cuts, goal dragons and origins
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:48:38 +0200

Nando wrote:
> PS: I'm not too sure how to handle the new trac service and the list,
> is it ok to use both and duplicate, or is there a better (or
> preferred) way ?

Nobody knows yet. Basically we have to try it out and see what works.

The main advantage of the mailing list is that it reaches everybody
and more or less at the same time. The main disadvantage is that
anything that doesn't get an immediate response, for one reason or
another, is effectively lost. Trac has roughly opposite
characteristics in this regard.

Clearly it's not attractive to double-post everything, if only because
of the extra work, so I would propose these guidelines:

General information, questions and discussions: only list
Severe bugs (crashing, failing to build, etc.): both list and trac
Normal and trivial bugs:                        only trac
Controversial patches:                          both list and trac
Normal and trivial patches:                     only trac
Bug reports and patches from external people:   whichever

Let me stress that this is only a proposal and only guidelines. There
will surely be reasons to ask the list about issues previously only
filed on trac or to move discussions from the list over to trac.

What do other people think?

/Gunnar