Re: [gnugo-devel] Level of SlugGo

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Level of SlugGo
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:20:02 -0700

Some of it could be the difference between 3.6 and 3.7.x. We use 3.6 at level 10, but I do not know the default playing level of GNU Go on KGS. We also originally put SlugGo up on KGS with a bug that had just been introduced to the code (part of a quick hack to allow reasonable play on small boards), and at first SlugGo's rating dropped below 16 k before climbing back after we fixed it. On KGS they are both very close to 13k, GNU Go about 1/2 better, SlugGo about 0.2 lower. I think that they will get closer as more games build up.

I do think some recent work on GNU Go has made it stronger, but there are reasons we do not use the development branch: we want to explore what our changes are doing and we would not be able to separate the effects if we were always changing the underlying engine, so I think it is better if we wait for release versions of GNU Go and let the development team decide when that version is ready.

My claim of being about 2 stones stronger than GNU Go is based upon comparing results against the independent reference of Many Faces of Go. It could also be some quirk that makes SlugGo stronger than GNU Go against Many Faces but not against humans. We will know more as results accumulate.

Cheers,
David