Re: [gnugo-devel] Global Serach

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Global Serach
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:15:07 +0100

Petri wrote:
> How difficult it would be to build a global alfa-beta search on
> top/into of Gnu Go? I tried browsing the code and came to conclusion
> that it would be pretty difficult since:
> - GnuGo does not have evaluation function, But move value function,
> This would need to be propagated in search tree
> - Alternating needed between plys could be bit tricky

Yes.

> Easiest could be some script language implementation built on top of
> modified GTP Ie. Special command that would request from GNU-Go list
> of moves together with their values.

That would be the recommended approach. Notice that GNU Go already has
the command top_moves which returns the top ten moves from the
preceding genmove command. If all move values are needed there's no
problem adding such a command.

> I would like to try this as I am quite sure that GG is strong enough
> that global look ahead would do some good. Also it should be as easy
> as possible since main goal would be to know does it help.

Feel free to try it out. Be aware that there are two other ongoing
efforts in this area; David Doshay et al work on SlugGo and Evan
Daniel works on GoFigure. You should be able to find some information
about those by searching the mail archives for this list and the
computer-go list.

/Gunnar