Re: [gnugo-devel] First Monte Carlo code ready for inclusion

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] First Monte Carlo code ready for inclusion
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:42:56 +0100

Ben Lambrechts wrote:
> This are my conclusions after running several bots on CGOS:
>
>    * 1000 games per level
>          o L1 :: 1698
>          o L10 :: 1813
>    * 8000 games per level
>          o L1 :: 1777
>          o L10 :: 1938
>    * 10.000 games per level
>          o L1 :: 1736
>          o L10 :: 1827
>
> I don't know why the games at 10k games per level are weaker than the
> ones at 8k.
> Maybe it is because with the 10k-ones, I didn't rebuild gnugo with
> MAX_BOARD 9.

Most likely because your computer isn't fast enough to support 10000
games per level at CGOS time settings, causing the time management to
regularly play at rather low levels. To see what's happening with the
level settings you should use the "-d 0x4000000" option (DEBUG_TIME),
and make sure that stderr output appears somewhere you can read it.

I managed to reach 1986 (mgtest1) with level 10, 6000 games per level,
MAX_BOARD=19 and 1982 (mgtest2) with level 10, 7500 games per level,
MAX_BOARD=9. This discrepancy I attribute to CGOS rating uncertainty.

/Gunnar