[gnugo-devel] How to compile gnugo as a shared library?

From: Sorin Gherman
Subject: [gnugo-devel] How to compile gnugo as a shared library?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:10:45 -0800

Hi,

This is my first post here, so I'd like to first thank all Gnugo developers creating and maintaining Gnugo!

I have used Gnugo for a while on my Go website http://www.361points.com to allow people to play online against Gnugo.
The way I used it was to use GTP between Python (which my website is built upon for the dynamic content) and a Gnugo executable on Linux.
Once this became popular, the fact that a new process is spawned on each move because a big scalability bottleneck.

So I guess that I need to compile Gnugo as a shared library, so I can make calls into it from Python directly without spawning new processes.
Has anyone compiled Gnugo as a shared library already?

If not, any pointers to how to do that given the current makefile that gnugo uses - would just a simple change work, or are there extensive changes needed?

Thanks in advance,
Sorin Gherman