Re: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:23:42 -0800

Raphaël Giudici wrote:

> I contacted the FSF to talk about the possible creation of an open
> source real time Go server backed up by the FSF. According to John
> Sullivan, they are interested by such project and advised me to get in
> touch with your team.

Creating the code-base for a Go server is a miniscule part of
the work involved. Running a Go server is a full-time job,
and by full time, I mean 24 hours a day, 365 days a
year. This is a business, not a hobby, and not an easy one to
make profitable. There *have* to be admins on the server at
all times and they have to deal with disputes and all kinds
of disruptive behavior. Unless you never sleep, you will have
to recruit and keep admins who will have to either be paid or
be committed and responsible volunteers.

> I would like to know if your team is interested, have some ideas, or
> know other person that would be.

I doubt if this is something we or GNU should be involved in.

Daniel Bump