Re: [gnugo-devel] Go

From: Alec Battles
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Go
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 02:36:40 +0900

>> It many years since I have played Go, have a board and stones but no body
>> play with. I am looking for a Go game I can play against on my computer. I
>> have an old one but it won't play on my new computer, a Windows 7
>> operating
>> system. Is gnugo what I am looking for?

For all intents and purposes, I'd say yes.

I also do not use windows, but I know that many Linux/GPL programs are
available on Windows through Cygwin, just as many Windows programs are
available to me through WINE.

Here is some unrelated information you may also find useful:

Playing Go is part art, part science, part calculation. A lifetime of
study is required to achieve the level of skill in the game that
computers also currently try to achieve. For learning such a difficult
art/science/game, you could also just move to Chengdu in China. There
are all-day weiqi-playing cafes there, as part of a cultural legacy
lost in other Chinese cities, and if I may say so on such a public
list, there are not enough of us English-speaking geeks in what is
arguably the world's most geek-positive economy.

(90 degree bow)