Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go -- Too Difficult

From: Brenden Towey
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go -- Too Difficult
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:22:05 -0700

On 9/7/2013 9:23 PM, Timothy J Frahm wrote:
Level one, of your GNU Go, is too difficult. There is nothing to keep a novice player interested. Using GNU Go is too disheartening. I'm able to get up to level 5, against the computer, on other AI, but for some reason, GNU Go has ten levels, yet the first level is too difficult.

I can't speak for any of the developers, but trying to produce reasonable "dumber" AI seems like it would magnify the effort needed for maintaining GNU Go significantly. A program with 10 levels would probably be equivalent to trying to maintain 10 different AI engines.

I think a better solution would be to find actual players closer to your level. Go is more fun as a social activity anyway. Try KGS (see link below). They have a ton of bots (including several GNU Go bots) as well as a ton of actual players. They also review games and seem interested in helping out new players. You'll learn more playing real people, imo, than you will from a "dumbed down" AI, as those are frankly easy to trick.

http://www.gokgs.com/