gnuherds-app-dev

Re: URI design

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: URI design
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:11:51 +0200

Davi Leal wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > >     ?pag=1
> > >     ?pag=2
> > >     ?pag=N
> >
> > Can we use PATH_INFO (so /1 /2 ... /N on the end of the file name)
> > instead of the query string, either directly or by RewriteRule?
>
> Yes we can.  We are already using rewrite rules to show to the user the
> attached URI scheme.  To modify it we have just to modify the rules:
>
>   https://gnuherds.org/doc/conf/apache_virtual_domain.conf
>

> It seems the PATH_INFO design is more clean!.  Are there any other reason
> because you prefer PATH_INFO?.  I am not sure what we must do.
>
>    /resume?pag=1
>    /resume/pag/1
>
>    /offers?action=edit&id=12&pag=N
>    /offers/action/edit/id/12/pag/N

After realizing an analysis, I think the PATH_INFO notation breaks the Object
Oriented analysis which we have done,

          URI =   Object ? param=value & param=value & ...

because of PATH_INFO makes it more difficult to differentiate between what is
object, parameter name, or parameter value.

PATH_INFO is more clear to the eye, however it is a lot less readable because
it lost the notation: object, parameter=value

As usual, let me know any disagreement,
Davi