Re: [Gnumed-devel] Changes to GuiMain - Suggestions (ctd)

From: dguest
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Changes to GuiMain - Suggestions (ctd)
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 21:18:48 +1000

Richard

I like the automatic generation of the notes with the word wheel as you describe below ... except for history taking. My problem with it is that it forces you down a previously determined track even if it is your own individual track. My approach is to let the patient spill out their history in their own unstructured way and then go back and expand on certain points. I touch type and try to eyeball the patient as they give the initial history. It is prefererable to keep symptoms at one per line to aid adding new items, annotating existing items and moving the data around. I have added the history component from one of my typical consultations as an addendum. The dashed lines are the annotation of the initial symptom and are added on the second and subsequent runs through the history.
My patients almost always have two problems and often up to four or five. I
have played around with the best way of recording the data in these
multi-problem consultations and do not have a perfect answer. I think
encapsulating each problem in its own section of the page is the best approach.
I prefer [S1O1A1P1; S2O2AOP2] to [S1S2O1O2A1A2P1P2]) but use a line of tildes
as a demarcator on the first run through the history.

My preference is still for a three window approach, 40% width is sufficient for my note taking as mentioned but I agree that the 60% width is necessary for displaying other data for the reasons you state below. My difficulty is placing the third box so that I can see the summary items of the information that I am seeking, whether they be correspondence, pathology or previous notes. I _do not_ want to obscure my current consultation screen or reduce width of the "Detail info" display window. As a first draft my preferences are:-

|---------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------|
| Short patient id line | | Scratch Pad | |---------------------------| | |

|----------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------|   |   Warnings /  Reminders

|                           |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|                           |      Ico|Ico|Ico|Ico|Ico|Ico|Ico|Ico
|                           |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|    Current                |   |   Summary screen

|    consultation           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |
|----------------------------------------------------|
| | | | |----------------------------------------------------|
|                           |   |      Detail info
     |
|                           |   |      Display screen

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

|                           |   |

I am not a great believer in the value of voice dictation or video taping the consultation. My notes are a summary of the consultation not a re-enactment. (It was only barely sufficiently interesting the first time through.) I agree that one day computers will record all this information, lay it out neatly, make the diagnosis and prescribe the correct medication. At that point the doctor will be superfluous. Unfortunately that will also be the day that the patient is superfluous. "Open the door, Hal!"
"Sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Dave

richard terry wrote:

To further re-iterate on the reason for the two column approach to the screen design. The reason one needs about 60% of the screen real estate on the left hand side, apart from the previously given reasons below, is that it is an ideal size to reproduce a 'page' of information to display. Eg one can display most of an A4 letter in this area, an Xray image, a drug monograph, a graph with decision support attatched, drug interactions etc. These visually fit well there. If you go for a three column approach as suggested by david it simply doesn't work.

The remainder 40% on the right hand side is also ideally sized so one can fit most lists of things, reminders, the scratch pad.