Re: [Gnumed-devel] Using timers with the word wheel/autofill fields

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Using timers with the word wheel/autofill fields
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 01:26:33 +1000

On Thu, 9 May 2002 23:27, richard terry wrote:
> I noticed in the testdb which searches for australian postcodes that it
> is real slow, and seems to be doing a search at every key press.
>
> In my VB programs I always used a timer and didn't do any search until a
> predefined  (user defined dependant on user typing speed) period of
> millisecs had passed. This saves heaps of unecessary database accessing
> and stops the user being frustrated.

Not my code. My sugggestion is to do a few "select distinct" calls at
startup to work out the delay caused by the searches and the likeloihood
of a meaningful search. A reasonable threshold for example would be no
more than 25 returned result in most instances.

The other thing of cause is that once things work nicely we will start
working on replacing most search functions with threaded functions - which
will not interrupt your workflow or cause any delays in the user interface
other than not displaying the results if the search takes longer

Horst

Horst