Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS and PNGs

From: David Guest
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS and PNGs
Date: 11 Aug 2002 15:45:20 +1000

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 21:44, Horst Herb wrote:
> This is because the current code is *design only*, not really functional. It
> has hard coded widget positions, font types and sizes - none of which will be
> allowed in the functional version.
>
> Problem is that some developers could not shed their Windows background yet
> where everything is hard coded and pre-defined and simply ignores the needs
> of those with "unusual" screen sizes or font preferences etc. This will
> improve over time, when they slide more and more into the free world of X
> where everything is possible and no assumptions/ prejudices are valid any
> more.

Thanks Horst

> The other problem is that while "skinning" works automatically on GTK based
> systems, such a concept of user freedom is still unknown in Windows and hence
> it will not work there. This makes it more awkward to write the user
> interface in a portable and still configurable way too.

I am not quite clear on the "skinning" in Windows. Are you saying that
these wx* applications are either portable or configurable but not both?
>From my extremely limited experience with sizers I thought there was a
minimum size (that is platform dependent) for placing widgets within a
frame but that this limitation would not be too constricting in
practice.

I assume we all agree that gnumed must create and maintain a Window's
client until such time as the Windows operating system is no longer a
significant proportion of the market.

David

--
David Guest