[Gnumed-devel] wxDateEntry - Notes

From: Julio Jiménez
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] wxDateEntry - Notes
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:11:03 +0200

Hi all..

I have read the "Considerations for a medical date entry widget" document and
reports what I think about it.

At first: I attach a file (only for to see, not valid for use) for the
preliminary wxDateEntry  widget. (the widget squeleton)

I'm programmer from Pascal (Delphi) an C and maked my own DateEntry control
some years ago... then I hope haven't problems ;)

The text:

Structured input fields... Ok but I think that's older... and incompatible
with the parser method, but can bea property that conmutate between both
methods...

Unstructured input fields..- "The widget does not impose a particular layour
for entering dates".. "there sould be a 'super smart' input
interpretation"... Of course, I think it is the best way, you can input
anything, then the parser proccess it and report a valid date if it can...
that will be the power of the widget.

Dates as offsets.- true, it's easy to do (I have think before about .. and
solve it)  You will can input "+3d +3d +1w -2w" all both and the parser
interpretate it correctly... (may be...)
One little problem... english: sufix d, m, y, w spanish: d, m, a, s for the
same... any country can be its own prefix for days, months, years and weeks.
The use of "locale" module will be require, but "locale" module is
problematic. -don't do the things whow it would be- in english, no problem,
but in german, spanish and other countries: problems!!! Guido have been
reported about it for resolve (I don't know why he haven't solved this
problem when he is european)

Manipulation of displayed dates... Context Menu :
        Ok three pairs of keys for inc or dec day, month and year (into the
file
attached you can use +-  and Pag Up and down int the popup (drop down)
calendar for it)

Leap Years... Y2K, Gregorian... Julian...It may work with "time" module fo
valid dates...

Delimiters... Of course what we want, the parser may reduce the input,
normalize, split and interpretate... :)

Key words... Problematic (subject to localization) but can be implemented.

Fuzzy Dates... ??? (incomplete dates.... example: I know the year only...)
A 'StrictedDate' property can be implemented for it, and permit 'Fuzzy' and
valid dates

I have worked making programs for the Historical archive of Trujillo (where I
live in Spain) and it is usual to it... Francisco Pizarro borned.... ????? we
dont know the day or month, only the year... near .... sigl... Cristobal
Colón borned.... ????

We can implement a notation for input. For display it into the control we can
manage it as we want. By example the wxNumericEntry (what you see is not what
it is or seemed) :)  (right align visual effect.... he he   GTK don't
generate on_paint event... no problem.... see the source code '__fmtRS(self,
value)' function do it (complex algoritm... he he :)  )

For Postgres of course we can implement a new type (only for those kinds of
dates)

P.S.. Try the squeleton widget into the attacked file.. I think that can be
added a label property also... it's easy...

well, I begin to work in the Parser (littles gnomes working into the program)
:) sorry.... ... and hope as soon as possible to send a preliminary version
for testing (...next week... perhaps :> )

Julio Jiménez Borreguero