[Gnumed-devel] state of gnumed?

From: David Cameron
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] state of gnumed?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:14:25 -0600

Hi List

I came across gnu-med while looking for an open source appointment
scheduling program for clinics. My company provides IT expertise to a few
clinics around town and most of them are unhappy with their current
solution. We also talked about expanding the solution into a more integrated
tool including patient records, access to online drug information and
specialized querying to allow post-hoc research on patient records. A lot of
the goals of GNUMed are the same as the goals we discussed.

The thought that's gone into the design of gnumed is impressive. I like the
Encounter/Episode/Transaction model. It seems intuitive and flexible.

I'm a little unclear though as to how far along the development really is. I
realize switching from a monolithic database to several distributed services
probably set the project back quite a bit. But looking around the latest CVS
version of the client code, it doesn't seem like the client communicates to
the server at all. Is this accurate?

As well, looking around the server/ directory only revealed some sql to set
up the database. Has coding begun on the services broker or any of the
service providers? What language were these intended to be written in?

gnumed seems like a very good project, but it looks like it's a long way
from going live.

Dave