Re: [Gnumed-devel] AMIS + phrase wheel

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] AMIS + phrase wheel
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:36:18 +0200

Richard,

> I tried you phrase wheel again. Hey, its coming along really well. Congrats.
> Works quick and fast. How does it go pulling data from the database?
It doesn't at all yet. The only match provider currently
available is for "fixed lists", that is lists whose content is
known, stable and reasonably sized at instantiation. There's
no dynamic match provider yet such as for accessing DBs. The
fixed list provider is useful for stuff like choosing a
speciality which is a list of, say, 20-30 items that is fully
known even before we think of using it. Note that we need not
_have_ that list yet, we can pull it from the database in a
query just fine, but we can _fix_ it before we invoke the
phrase wheel - no need for dynamic database access. Quite
different with patient names: a) patients _could_ get added
while we are in the phrase wheel b) we cannot get a list of
all patients and pass that to the fixed list provider because
of size issues.