[Gnumed-devel] distributed db <-> service config

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] distributed db <-> service config
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:26:54 +0200

Let me state my understanding of how the distributed db config
system is supposed to work. I am in the process of rewriting
the BLOB import to allow for a separate service "blobs" and to
properly use the _USER-on-write convention.

gmconfiguration.sql:

Table db is a general table defining how to reach the various
databases that can be used in a GnuMed system. Those may be
hosted virtually anywhere as long as they are reachable via
TCP/IP.

Table distributed_db is just a list of service names known to
GnuMed. It's main purpose is to normalize the service names
out of the service<->db mapping. This table should actually be
called something like "service" (any objections to renaming ?).

Table config maps service names to physical database
locations. It links one database to one service for a
particular user. It also provides the credentials for this
user to actually access the database. This table should be
more aptly named something like "service_db_map".

Did I miss something ?

Any objections to renaming the tables (I know it's a pain in
the ...) ?

Suggestions ?