Re: [Gnumed-devel] database abstraction

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] database abstraction
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:31:16 +0200

> views are entirely transparent - from the client side perspective they are
> just another table. On the server side you need to write some rules to allow
> views to be updateable in the same way as a table, but that's all.

> This would be my preferred first step of implementing abstraction.
This is also the lowest level of where we inject user-specific
content-aware access control.

a) "all" tables, rules and views are owned by gmdb-owner
b) certain groups are granted certain rights to certain
   *views*, where "_agroup" has update/insert/delete while
   "agroup" only has select rights
c) "user" belongs to "agroup" while "_user" belongs to
   "_agroup", too
d) connections with write access are only established if
   explicitely requested, and they use the pseudo name "_user"
   which protects normal "user" connections from accidentally
   stomping on data