Re: [Gnumed-devel] PHP to drug db

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] PHP to drug db
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:28:26 -0400

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:16:10PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > 1/ a link_dose_component table to specify the dose for each component
> > of a compound drug.
> Shouldn't the dose of the component be specified in the same
> place where the component itself is specified ? After all that
> dosage is unique to this drug (= combination of components) ?

The problem is some compounds have different doses, viz

"Panadeine" = paracetamol 500mg, codeine 8mg
"Panadeine Forte" = paracetamol 500mg, codeine 30mg

However, we still want to have the concept of the compound, irrespective of
dose,
to assign properties such as indications, etc. to it.

Another solution is to make product.dose and product.unit into arrays, agreeing
the
order is the alphabetical order of the constituents. (so codeine first in the
example above)

Of course, in the USA paracetamol ("acetoaminophen") would be
first....

Any other suggestions?

Ian