Re: [Gnumed-devel] drug data in GnuMed EHR

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] drug data in GnuMed EHR
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:31:11 +0100

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:16:00PM +1100, Richard wrote:
> Not an innocent question. IMHO its not a good idea to store a pointer to the
> drug database - reason the drug reference database is constantly changing.
You found me out :-)

The reason I was asking: If we store _just_ a pointer we must
make sure to never delete any drug records but only mark them
obsolete when they become so. OTOH if we store sufficient(ly)
uniquely identifying data we can always track down the
relevant drug even after the fact without worrying about
needing to maintain a backlog of outdated drug products
forever. However, this may be unwieldy when doing repeats on
previously prescribed drugs...

Hence I suggest to store both :-)

> IN my medical records program I have a very successful system.
> When I go to work tomorrow, I'll try and post a listing of this.
Looking forward to that.