Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search functionality revisited

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search functionality revisited
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 08:38:32 +1100

> There is also a function levenshtein () which I found useful:
> it gives the number of substitutions required to match two strings, so
> is language-agnostic.

problem is that the Levenshtein distance is expensive to calculate. Since you
cannot even assume that the first letter is spelled correctly (it may or may
not begin with a silent letter etc), in the worst case you would need to
traverse the full list of names calculating the distance for each single one
of them.

Due to the possible number of permutations, it is not practical either to have
lookup tables for comon cases etc in order to speed up the search.

Horst