Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed/Archive // patient object

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed/Archive // patient object
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:33:13 +0100

>  The API/middleware/whatever is also needed to perform the 'backroom'
> functions that would otherwise be done using stored procedures (in a
> monolithic database), such as reference counting, interaction checking,
> etc.. This means 'regular' Python objects,such as
> Patient, Drug, Prescription, etc. which may have a 1-to-1 correspondence
> with the postgres tables/views,, or may not, data accessed via
> functions.
I usually mix dedicated functions plus free SQL where
necessary. Again, I would want to be able to say:

global curr_patient

# this is suitable for a dedicated function
meds = curr_patient.getCurrMeds(now-10 months)

# meds will now be a dict of currMeds objects holding stuff
# like name, when, for what etc
# then I want to be able to inform myself about a particular
# drug:
curr_selection = listbox.getselection()
drug = meds.getDrug(curr_selection)
AMIS_plugin.set_drug(drug)
AMIS_plugin.get_basic_data()
switch2AMIS()

However, I am not *asking for* that level of convenience. All
I am asking for is an agreement on how the interface is to
look like and a rough idea of what to best use for now as the
innards of the object(s) - this latter request Horst answered
already.  I can write all the above stuff myself.