Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed/Archive // patient object

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed/Archive // patient object
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:55:22 +0100

> > In terms of using dictionaries/ etc to represent tables, it is nice, but
> > I think, inevitably loses too much flexibility. All I would want is just
> > a few
> > fsimple functions to fluently mix SQL and Python code (instead of having
> > to mess about with cursors all the time)
>
> Why not a layer which could map objects "transparently" to the database.
> The advantage is that in this case you handle *only* objects, finished
> with cursor and selects, insert and so on.
Sure, for a modest range of well-defined things that'll do and
work. One looses flexibility that way, though, as Ian rightly
claims. OTOH I would not want to sprinkle around SQL in the
general code. Hence the approach to have business objects
wrapping common cases and providing convenience functions like
"run-query" for those cases that do need hand-crafted SQL.
There's no reason why we shouldn't keep open both venues of
table access.